There are potato chips and then there are potato chips! Although we do love our homemade potato chips with a blue cheese dip, we have some favorite store bought ones, too. We are so excited to share with you our favorite homemade potato chip recipe and our favorite store bought chips to celebrate National Potato Chip Day! What could make us happier?
Store Bought Potato Chips
Let’s face it..Not many of us have the time or probably the inclination to make our own potato chips. And sometimes we crave a bit of a different chip, too, whether it’s the type of potato or the seasonings, like sea salt and vinegar. So, if you’re going to buy store bought, here are a few of our favorites.
Our go to for BBQ flavored chips is Whole Foods Organic. We love that the BBQ flavor is just enough and not too hot. Many times the flavor is overpowering, but the Whole Foods BBQ Flavored Potato Chips are just perfect. Oh, a bonus is they don’t leave too much BBQ seasoning on your fingers.
For a classic chip, we love Joe’s Chips. Some may not call it classic, but the Classic Sea Salt is our go to. It is one of those thinner cuts that has a real crunch. The sea salt is just enough to make you happy, but not overwhelming. We also love to pick them up in the small bags to take with us. Deep River brand is another goodie.
When we want that non-classic potato chip and are looking for a specialty chip made with other vegetables, Tika is our favorite. They use a combination of of sweet potatoes, beetroots, and exotic potatoes. The flavors of the vegetables really shine though, which makes us so happy.
When we are craving salt and vinegar chips, which happens a lot, there is only one answer – Kettle! They are the right consistency, right salt to vinegar ratio, and all around perfect! We even had issue keeping the bag closed before we took the pictures, all honesty the bag in the picture is EMPTY! They are also a perfect post hard workout fuel.
Homemade Potato Chips Made Easy
We have no particular potato we prefer to use – the trick is in soaking them.
What you will need
- A bowl of ice water
- Oil – we prefer Canola
- Slice potatoes into thin slices – we use our Cuisinart.
- As you slice, place the slices in the ice water.
- When done, drain the slices and refill bowl with more ice water.
- Repeat 3 times, allowing to soak for 30 minutes each time.
- Heat oil in a pan to 365 degrees.
- Fry the slices to the desired color – we prefer light tan
- As you remove each batch, place on a cookie sheet with a towel on it and lightly salt.
We love dipping our chips in blue cheese and of course, we have an easy recipe for it.
Easy Blue Cheese Recipe
- 1 cup whole milk Greek Yogurt
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 1 cup blue cheese crumbles
- Milk or Buttermilk to thin
- Mix it all together
- Store all week for use on salads, veggies, chicken, or whatever you like